Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Final Cultual Post

Getting your tonsils out the day after you return from France really lends to a lot of reflecting time on the trip and life in general. Naturally, when I'm not lusting over solid food or just food in general, I can't help but to compare this trip to my trip to Spain last year. These two trips have been the best summers of my life, and I would do anything to relive them both. Spain was a wonderfully warm place filled with what might be considered too much partying. I met people that changed me, but in all honesty I never stayed in close contact with them. It taught me how to live alone in a foreign country where I didn't have my parents or a high school chaperone watching my every move. I think all in all I learned more about functioning and taking care of myself when I was in Spain, especially having to go to a mac store and buy and entirely new computer. I was a 19 year old on a trip with people who were well over 21 and nothing has ever forced me to become mature like that trip did. Paris on the other hand was a completely different, somewhat chillier experience. Frances you told me you had never seen me so happy before, and maybe thats because these last 5 weeks have honestly been one of the best experiences of my life. Going on this trip felt like I was just going somewhere with my friends, not at all like we were strangers. I can't even begin to list the wonderful memories that we created over the past few weeks, from conch shells to catacombs from dynamo to Giverny from bars to fitting 4 people in my full size bed I can't think of 11 other people that I would have liked to spend this time with ( and yes Frances that includes you!). Even the bad times like wandering for hours trying to find a place to eat, or not being allowed into clubs didn't really matter because I knew wherever we ended up it would be a good time. That was always guaranteed. I can't put my finger on exactly what about this trip changed me so much, but I know that I am a different person than the one who stepped off United flight 990 on May 29th. It could possibly be that I met 10 people who I never want to loose contact with; 10 people who in such a short amount of time I felt like I could 100% be myself around and never feel judged or misliked. Today and everyday since we left I miss Paris so much. I even might miss being sardined on the metro. I miss every single one of you and the times that we had together. While I don't know how I changed I know that I am a better person because I went on this trip and because I met all of you. I'm so glad you told me to come again this year Francis, thank you for everything.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, Nicole. So glad the trip was successful on many levels, though the social seems to be primary!
    It's all good because it seems to me you learned about France, its art and film as well.

    ReplyDelete