Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My last week in Paris was infinitely influenced by Luke's friend, Siham. Nearly everyone in the group got to meet and know Siham, but, to me, she was the physical example of Paris culture. A smart gal, beautiful and stylish, with a lot to say and a patient pleasant attitude. To cap it all off, she was horribly addicted to cigarettes. This last week alone, my french improved dramatically. I graduated from baby french, to the toddler level.

At the same time though, it made me want to kick my self for having never broken out and found a french local to talk to. Siham did calm my nerves and explained that that would be quite an incredible feat to do without knowing a person on the inside. Regardless, the importance of a local ally, rather than just forcing awkward interactions in shops, made me realize the proper way to travel.

Since being in amsterdam, I befriended two French Canadian girls. Although their French sounds like a different language, and they would laugh at how bad my French, similarly, I learned more french with them than I could have hoped for. It is going to be tough, but I hope to learn french  when I get back to the States. I think after such an inspiring adventure, I will have the wherewithal to keep my French alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment