Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Health, Fat, and Cigarettes


When I came here I had a delusional idea that I was only going to drink coffee and smoke cigarettes and become unhealthily skinny, and then when I went back to America I would become a model or something. Just kidding to the last part, but I definitely didn’t see myself gaining as much weight as I have here. The food is just too good, and there is absolutely no easy way to work out. After tromping around all day to multiple museums I am left with zero to no energy, my feet hurt, and I don’t have the energy to get back on the metro to go to one of the beautiful parks that seem to be the only place people actually run. Back in Boulder or Tacoma I follow a strict workout regime, running or elliptical-ing almost every day for 30-40 minutes. I also don’t indulge in chocolate ice cream, candy, and large amounts of Brie almost every day. Trust me, this is not an overstatement, I do this almost daily. Ask Charlotte. I tried to go on a run once, which was a very interesting experience. I wore pants and a raincoat to cover myself, and I was sweaty and disgusting, and I thought I would be protected from the men that stand around outside their shops, but apparently not. I got yelled at a lot, then I got lost, and I felt extremely unsafe and vulnerable. I tried to understand how all the French women here have maintained their stick thin physique, and have come to the conclusion that they mainly live off cigarettes, which is somewhat verifiable by the appearance of their teeth and the fact they are all chain smoking. Similarly, all the teeny-tiny women in their 40’s and 50’s who were the stick thin girls in their youth are so wrinkly and unhealthy looking I am forever turned off from a diet of cigarettes. Therefore, I will have to tolerate my too-tight jeans, gluten-filled tummy from the bites of baguette I can’t resist, and wait until I get back to the U.S. where you don’t get looked at like an alien from outer space when you work out and treadmills are abundant and easily accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment