Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wherefore art thou restroom?


I think it is not farfetched to say I have been cursed with an abnormally small bladder. It is not a good problem to have in France, where public restrooms are few and far between. Almost three times a day I find myself jumping around and looking around fervently for a bathroom. If we are in a museum, our apartment, or Accent I have somewhere to go. Otherwise I am out of luck and become extremely frustrated. Never before have I been forced to pay so much money for having a small bladder. I can guess the reason there are not many public restrooms is because of the abundance of homeless people that would surely take residence in the restrooms. It does baffle me, however, how unwilling restaurant or café or even McDonald workers are to accommodate someone who has to pee. I also blame myself for my lack of French skills in assisting my pleading. Normally they want you to buy something if you are going to use their restroom, but sometimes I really cant wait long enough to stand in line and buy a coke before I need to rush into the bathroom. Even when I really am going to eat at a café and I go to the bathroom first to use the restroom and wash my hands the people inside say “Bonjour Madamoiselle?” to me like “Where the hell do you think you’re going” when they don’t know I am seated outside. I find it very frustrating. I understand this is a part of the culture and a custom I am not used to, but I also cant really figure it out since it is something every person does involuntarily every day weather they want to or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment