Friday, June 17, 2011

Always a Little Lost in Translation

Living in France as an American who does not speak French is certainly a humbling experience. To compensate for the language difference, I have dressed modestly, lowered my volume, and developed a metro stare that Medusa would envy. Still, the Parisians can always tell that I am an American. There are many opinions on how Parisians can identify us: our noses and makeup, how we look around at the buildings, our loudness, our tendency to wear tennis shoes, the way we walk, etc. I started off very concerned about fitting in, but after about a week I decided to just be polite and do my own thing. That's been going relatively well, but I still catch myself inadvertently doing dumb things.

Take today for an instance...I have had a little bit of a cold so I went down the street to the pharmacy that looked the most inviting. Walking in, I was a bit overwhelmed by all of the boxes--some with brands that I recognized, but all descriptions that I did not understand. As I was wandering around looking for a box with a picture of someone with a cold, I failed to notice that I had walked into forbidden territory behind the desk. One of the pharmacy attendants came out and politely asked me if I would step away from the medications and join the line at the front counter. Another American moment, and I could feel my face burning with embarrassment as the man explained how to take the pills in a tone that implied I was a simpleton.

I shook that experience off and headed back to the apartment and stopped at the corner store where I always go to get my Schweppes Agrum fix. The couple that owns the store recognize me now and are very friendly, so I thought I would let the woman working know that a flock of birds had descended on the fruit.
"Parlez-vous anglais?" I asked.
"Un peu," she responded.
"The flock of birds is stealing your fruit."
"Burrrhs???"
To demonstrate what a "burrrh" was, I found myself tweeting and flapping my arms to get my point across. She had a good laugh and then went to beat the birds off her plums with an umbrella. I felt rather silly, but at least this time I communicated efficiently.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, Amy. Hope you feel better and what a beautiful picture of Paris light. Try not to feel too self conscious and self critical. People care less than you think and may not be quite as judgmental as you project. The French are quite well disposed to Americans right now because of the current government.

    ReplyDelete