Friday, June 10, 2011

Gypsies

When preparing to travel to Europe, one of the most common pieces of advice that I have received is, “watch out for the gypsies.” It seems like everyone who has traveled to Europe has had some negative experience with a gypsy, whether it be pick-pocketing, conning, or just being pestered for spare change. I was warned of their common tricks: trying to hand off an infant, or the gold ring scam.

I did encounter a gypsy just the other day. Right along the Seine, near the Louvre, a young girl about fourteen came up to me with a piece of paper to sign claiming to be deaf and mute. At first I was taken off guard because she was young and seemingly harmless, I thought this was probably some sort of petition. However, when I looked at the paper closer I noticed that it was asking for a donation, and supposedly the past few signers had all given more than twenty euros each. I realized this was a scam and waved her off saying no, I’m sorry, and after a brief attempt to persuade me by motioning to her mouth and ears that she was deaf and mute, she soon ran ahead to catch up with her friends, a group of about four girls around the same age.

So, who are these gypsies? I started to wonder what sets gypsies apart from other beggars, and became increasingly interested in them. Of course, I recognize that gypsies are a legitimate concern for tourists and some are far from innocent, but through a little research I have learned that there is much more to them than what we get from the stereotype. Gypsies are a mysterious wandering race who usually speak Romany and traditionally live by seasonal work, trade, and fortune-telling. Because gypsies are so well-known as being beggars and con-artists it is wrongly assumed that they do not want to work, and unfortunately most people have a very limited view of who gypsies are as a race of people with unique beliefs, abilities, and customs. I think it is important to understand that thievery and begging most often comes from a long history of extreme poverty and racial prejudice. So, even though I will of course continue to keep my wallet hidden and eyes wide open, I encourage us to open up a little bit to who these people are, and in doing so we etch a little crack in the wall that confines them.

If anyone is interested here are a few videos that both explain the current situation for gypsies and show their music—which exemplifies the potential inside this people.

Johnny Depp on Gypsies:

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much, Michael, eye opening.
    One of the men Johnny Depp mentions admiring, Tony Gatliff, made LATCH DROM, a great, moving documentary about the Rom, from their origins in southern India to present existence - all told primarily by means of music accompanied by haunting images.

    ReplyDelete