Friday, June 17, 2011

The perfect "prescription"

Last night I met up with Amelia, Genna, and Faiz (one of Amelia’s friends that is a native Parisian) at the Amish Kapoor exhibit. When Amelia introduced me to Faiz he greeted me “the French way” as he said with a kiss on each cheek. After we were done looking around we all piled into Faiz’s smart car. I never realized how small those cars really are until I in it but they really do make sense for a city like Paris. I don’t think that most of the cars that we drive in the states could maneuver the narrow streets much less fit into any parking spaces. It was nice to actually be in a car and see Paris from a new perspective and it was also interesting because I see all the crazy drivers in their cars, but this time I was actually in one. He drove us to a bar called “The Prescription” to meet up with some of his friends. Apparently it is their favorite place and they go there at least once a week. That night it was a “Madmen” theme so everyone was dressed in 20’s/30’s attire. At the bar we met Faiz’s two friends, Hedi and Ramsey. I felt so lucky to be out experiencing the night life with real Parisians in a local spot, but I also felt somewhat intimidated. The boys were so friendly that I quickly felt much more at ease. I talked with Faiz for awhile about my experience in Paris so far and the places he had been in the U.S. After that I talked with Ramsey about how he splits his time between New York and Paris because his girlfriend lives in New York and works for Alexander McQueen(!!). It was interesting to hear his perspective on New York and how he thought is was similar to Paris in a lot of ways; I have now lived in both cities and I feel the same way. He also started talking about music festivals and how he really wants to go to Coachella. We actually had a lot of similar music tastes and the more and more I talked to everyone the more I realized that as much as we seem so different, we actually have a lot in common. We plan on hanging out with them again and hopefully we can continue getting to know each other better and maybe even become friends. All in all a night at "The Prescription" was the perfect medicine to cure what had been a pretty tough week.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Lauren - a full, interesting appreciation as you build more connections and interactions. Keep exploring and please read my email to you - midterm not attached!

    ReplyDelete