Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cafe Culture in Paris

One of the things about Paris that has really caught my attention is the “cafe culture.” Every block has cafes, and all of them have outdoor patios that face the street or sidewalk. I think it is so interesting that they turn the chairs to face the street instead of each other in a lot of places, as though the things happening on the sidewalks and streets in front of them are as important of a part to the meal as the lunch/dinner companions are. It seems to be such a major part of French social interaction, all of the people I have watched at cafes sit there for at least an hour for lunch, eating, drinking coffee, and smoking endless cigarettes. I never seen more then three people to a table eating a meal, they don’t seem to hang out in big groups like is common in the states. I imagine that they are having very intellectual conversations, because what else could be going on in a setting like that?

The waiters take forever to ask for your order when you sit down at a cafe, and the check doesn’t arrive immediately after you are done eating like it does in the states. I get a little frustrating with this when I have been aimlessly wandering for 3 hours and I am HUNGRY, but all in all I have started to adapt to and enjoy the slower pace of things. I am continuously surprised at how the French can drag out eating some bread and drinking a tiny shot of expresso over three hours, but I have witnessed it with my own eyes!

Another thing that amazes me about the French cafes is the lack of water. It appears that the Parisians live off coffee and wine (with the occasional beer mixed in), and the top it all off with numerous cigarettes and a lot of walking in uncomfortable shoes. I can’t help but be impressed, as they all look so fashionable, healthy, and refreshed despite this somewhat destructive lifestyle. I don’t know what it is about this city, but the cafes here make me wish I could be as intellectual, fashionable, and dehydrated as the Parisians!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your funny observations, Rose!
    The cigarettes can be an unpleasant feature of life here but the sociability is life giving and warm and I sense you appreciate that though I am not sure they 'drag out' eating - it's simply enjoyment of company and food and a celebration of the senses and life itself ...

    Love your observation about the chairs facing out - it is one of the aspects of Paris life that is most affirming of life and the importance people and shared humanity.

    Good your comments provoke thought - now engage and interact with french people instead of just watching and assessing... :-))

    ReplyDelete