Thursday, June 2, 2011

Language in Paris


Valerie Amend
Cultural Assignment #1
3.06.11

Language in Paris

            The French language is something I have been fascinated by since I was young. I was put into French classes around five or six (wishful thinking by my parents) and picked up the language again in high school.  I have found language to be a great skill to possess, yet very difficult to maintain. I have studied French on three different occasions, and have lost much of my knowledge in between grade levels.  As a college student I have been studying French for the third time for a year and a half. I thought this would prepare me sufficiently for my experiences in Paris.
            I have had many different interactions with the French. I have been looking forward to speaking French in Paris since I started taking language classes. As soon as I flew into European skies I was amazed by how quickly the French speak. I am only an intermediate speaker, but I was floored at how quickly their words flew by me. On my flight over the airline hostess became frustrated with me when I asked her to repeat her phrase, and from then on spoke to me in English. I always feel slightly defeated after a switch to English occurs, but I am becoming more resolute in continuing on with my Americanized French. I have found some very nice employees in stores and grocery shops that have encouraged me to try my French on them, and they will kindly correct me if I make a mistake.
            Those that have encouraged conversation have told me that they too have studied English or French, and that language is hard for everyone. Unfortunately most locals tend to speak quickly in the language they are most comfortable with. Although I have run into a few rude circumstances of people getting frustrated with my lack of knowledge, the encouragement I have received from just a few people has given me enough confidence to persevere. Coming to a foreign place is tricky no matter where you were born, and this is a similarity that people from all walks of life can identify with.

1 comment:

  1. persist, persist, because you love and know it and the more you persist the more people will talk back to you in French.

    It's a an opportunity not to be missed. Some details of these interactions
    would be interesting to read - the polite and the rude - who cares? It's all in the details shared!

    ReplyDelete