Monday, June 27, 2011

Locals Only, or Only Locals

Massive apologies for the lateness, my weekend to Brittany turned into a full blown adventure sans internet. So, on Saturday I spent the afternoon in Cancale, which is a small town with world-renown oysters. So lots of tourists come, but very few venture off the main road right by the waterfront. I was wandering around, and ended up walking up away from the ocean. A little lost, and thirsty I stopped at a café. Growing up, road-tripping with my family, my parents loved finding the rougher, locals-only joints and always taught me to be confident no matter what the situation. So when I walked in to realize that I had stumbled into a non-tourist café I tried my best to feel comfortable. There was absolutely no reason to be worried, everyone was really friendly and like a huge family. They were all middle-aged and seemed to know everything about each other. There was plenty of jokes at other’s expenses but all in good fun. I was smiling at what I could understand, which caught the eye of a woman at the bar. She came over and started speaking very fast in French, but really friendly. I told her I don’t speak French very well, so she slowed down, but no one there spoke English. Through my stumbled French I answered their questions, and, of course, everyone was very surprised that I was travelling alone. They were all so friendly and good-humored, just what I imagined a small-town bar to be like. It was a wonderful experience. I like seeing the sights, and going on tours, but being surrounded by tourists and commercialized experiences can be tiring. It was really nice to find that bar and talk with people who have lived in a place their whole lives. Only locals can show you that kind of warm-hearted hospitality and give you an authentic taste of their life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment