Saturday, June 25, 2011

Music in Paris

I went shopping with Julie and we went to this place called Colette. The store is full of tons of interesting things from fashion and art magazines, high fashion clothing, and strange little gadgets such as over-sized lighters. My favorite part of the store was the music section. They had a wall full of music and iPads attached to the wall with headphones so that people could listen to the music before buying it. I went over and started going through some music. After a little while one man who worked there came over and asked if I would like some help picking something out. I initially thought to brush him off as I usually do not accept help from salespeople, but this time I decided it might be interesting to see what he had to say. He asked me what I was interested in getting, and I just said that I wanted to find some French music that I would really enjoy. He asked me what some of my favorite bands are and he knew some of them and didn't know others. He showed me some of his favorite things and stuff that he thought I would like based on what I had told him I liked. I thought it was so interesting that we actually had somewhat similar music tastes even though we come from such different backgrounds. I ended up getting a cd that had several different French artists on it and I have really enjoyed getting to know the music on it so far. However the best part of the experience for me was meeting a real French guy that I could just have an innocent and honest conversation with about something that we both love. It made me feel much less like alien in this place that often feels so different from home.

1 comment:

  1. Nice story - it's worthwhile slowing down and being more aware of the need to do things differently every so ofetn

    ReplyDelete