Friday, June 3, 2011

Week 1: Vintage Market


Last Saturday, after our group lunch at Chez Omar, I decided to stick around the neighborhood to peruse the market that was taking place. This was not the typical fruit and vegetable market; rather, it was booths of vintage clothes, knick -knacks, and other ephemera. I have always had a love for the discarded, worn, old, and unusual; and this particular market had the most fascinating selections from all of these categories. The first booth I saw when leaving the restaurant was somewhat of a cabinet of curiosities, full of old bones, taxidermy, preserved specimens and objects of science. At first they seemed out of place but very interesting, and I took a few pictures, but as I continued along I noticed the same kinds of things in every other booth.

 In America, these kind of open-air markets are few and far between, and usually consist of crafts or decorative arts. Old furniture and clothes make their way into antique or secondhand stores, but in Paris, they are brought to the streets to become part of a greater serpentine menagerie, winding through a neighborhood for several blocks. I really appreciate this aspect of Paris – it is one big community, and people interact in a much more open and exterior way. 

As I was walking along I saw a small 1970’s mirror with an art nouveau inspired design of a woman and cherubic babies on it advertising some kind of canned milk. I admired the strangeness of it and thought it would make a fun souvenir, so I asked the man at the booth how much. He gave me a price, I tried to bargain with him, he didn’t speak much english so had his English neighbor act as translator. He firmly denied my offer, acting somewhat horrified, saying that the price he told me was even less than what it should be. I felt that it was a bit much, but the language barrier made it difficult for me to smoothly protest so I gave in and bought it. I’m not sure if this was a rare incident, but I have a feeling it may be less common to get a good deal. Regardless, I really enjoyed spending hours just wandering and looking at the abounding treasures with the locals. Before I left the area, I found a cafĂ© to linger in awhile and watch the world go by as the breeze carried the smell of fragrant flowers from the florist shop next door. 

1 comment:

  1. Great, Katarina,

    Beautiful description - plus you interacted and there was a result and increased under standing - good for you.
    Appreciate your so accurate perception "people interact in a much more open and exterior way." Your images reinforce that perception and your eloquent observing - very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete