Friday, June 10, 2011

Cultural Assignment: Week Deux

Before embarking to Paris I asked a few of my closest friends and family if they wanted me to bring anything back for them, like a little knick-knack or chocolates. Besides a few candy and soap requests the majority just wanted a simple post card, which I thought was great because it’d sounded so simple. Just write a postcard and then mail to back to the United States. Yeah; I was wrong and soon discovered that this task was not so straightforward, as I found out on Monday while attempting to accomplish my postcard request…

After arriving at ACCENT on Monday morning and realizing that class had been postponed I took my fee time between museum visits to run to the post office and mail my 10+ postcards. When I arrived it quickly became apparent that I no idea what I was doing, and because I don’t read French all that well every label seemed like a guessing game. There was also a very long line of people waiting to talk to an employee, but seeing that I didn’t have to mail a package, I ignored the opportunity to ask for help. This was my first mistake.

I then saw an older gentleman standing at a machine that looked like it was dispensing stamps. I thought perfect this is where I need to be and I noticed that the machine only read in French and of course this is the day I do not bring my handy-dandy dictionary. Well I didn’t let my lack of French communication skills get to me this time like they had at Notre Dame, as I went up to the machine feeling like I have everything under control. I began to push buttons just like the gentleman before me had then it was time to insert my money. The screen read 14 euro’s! 14 euro’s I thought, wow that is pricy. Regardless though, in went my coins and out came my stamps.

After sticking them on the post cards I preceded to locate where a slot might be so that the cards could be sent out. A few moments went by then it dawned on me… I didn’t buy the right stamps! I couldn’t believe that I had done this! I’m such an idiot I thought to myself. I then bit my tongue in frustration, and went up to the employee at the counter asking in very broken French what I could do about my situation. They said there was nothing they could do but buy new ones for international mail. Well there went 14 euro down the drain worth of stamps and 17 more euro’s added on to the tap. I was so embarrassed. I could tell that the employee knew I was feel that way too because they chuckled along with anther as they ran my credit card. “Stupid American” is all I could think of at this point. Typical. Well a lesson was learned that morning: when in doubt ask, always ask. So be careful, and don’t end up like me, buying 30+ dollars worth of stamps.

1 comment:

  1. HHHMMM, unfortunate and now I know to add this warning as well as
    how to' the next time Art in France takes place.

    Thanks and I am sorry this happened... you could have asked even if I am not a tour guide...

    ReplyDelete