Friday, June 10, 2011

Retail Design Bliss

I have become an expert wanderer and window shopper during my time in Paris. I have often remarked on how many shop windows have great design aesthetic. While big stores like Crate & Barrel make an effort to display their window goods in a colorful way, we don't really have the same kind of detailed attention in the States. Perhaps this is a big city thing, as people walk around more they will actually see the windows. I personally think it's a French attention to aesthetic and decorative arts that seems to present itself in many ways, from the shop windows to the organizing of bones in Les Catacombs. Window displays and shop design are very important to the retail business though. I used to work in retail, and every store I worked at had a different theme and look that they were trying to promote through their advertisements and clothes. You may think this is a silly thing to worry about in the business world, but studies have proven that customers will by more if they feel comfortable or inspired by a space. Andy Warhol even got his start by designing store windows.


However, I've gotten off topic--that is, how the French use this type of advertising to their benefit. I was especially impressed by the department store Printemps (which is right over by the Opera Garnier). As you walk up to this colossal store, you first notice the brightly colored window displays in magenta, emerald, and sunny yellow. Walking in you see individual window displays for the big names like Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Hermes. Every department is organized in a way that makes one feel comfortable, as they always have a plush chair and full length mirrors and edited racks of clothing (note: these are the designer collections on the 3 floor and up). Even the Hermes perfume display was well done, with all of the different colored bottles arranged on a light up pedestal.


Along with Printemps, we also went to an expensive gourmet shop called Fauchon, which had such effective advertising and aesthetically pleasing interior that I bought a seven euro jar of jam. While I'm sure my strawberry champagne jam will be very delicious, I'm not sure if I would have bought it if the store hadn't been so wonderful looking.

Enough text, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

Fauchon window display

Printemps window...wow

Marc Jacobs section

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done Amy: NOW INTERACT WITH SOME FRENCH PEOPLE INSTORES OR ELSEWHERE!
    I dare to engage with French people and their culture in a personal, human way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make sure to do that for next week. I did not want to have the same cultural narrative as Valerie, however.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would you manage having the same experience as anyone else? It is not possible or conceivable.

    ReplyDelete