Friday, June 17, 2011

Week 3-A Global Seminar


As many of my peers have noticed, Paris is in many ways a mix of different cultures, not just the French. People are often trained to speak multiple languages apart from their native tongue. Everywhere I am reminded of this fact, from the girls singing a Spanish song on the metro to the many waiters who can speak English perfectly. Last week we were discussing the fact that this program is called a “Global Seminar,” and more and more I feel that I am being exposed to more than just the French culture, namely in terms of the art that I am viewing.

Today I decided to go to the Musee Guimet, where I knew there was an exhibition of a contemporary Indian artist, Rina Bannerjeenot knowing quite what to expect. In addition to the contemporary exhibition, which was interspersed throughout the museum, there was an amazing collection of Asian religious art from places such as South Asia, India, Japan, and China. I was blown away at the intricate craftsmanship that must have been required to erect such exquisite religious figures. The fact that they were created so long ago and with such devotion was really inspiring. It reminded me that all art has the power to become a sacred object, not simply religious art. However, these statues and objects no doubt had a very powerful presence about them.

The Rina Bannerjee exhibition was equally awe-inspiring. She is a contemporary Indian-born artist who moved to England and then the United States as a young child. Her installations are mixed media, using materials such as netting, light bulbs, Indian fabrics, colonial objects, animal skulls, feathers, and much more. Because of her unique background she brings a special vision to her worka sort of combining of East and West, past and present. One of her more interesting works was a Taj Mahal made out of pink plastic wrap. I don’t think you were allowed to take pictures, but I was able to snag one photo of this installation shown above.

I especially enjoyed my visit to the Musee Guimet today because in the past few semesters at CU I have taken several courses in Indian history, as well as the history of British colonialism in India, as I am double majoring in History in addition to Studio Art. This exhibition so beautifully encompassed many connections between Eastern and Western cultures in a way that also speaks to more current issues of globalization and mass culture. I would like to learn more about this artist and continue to see what new inventions she creates. My visit to the Musee Guimet was just another example of how this program is exposing me to so many other cultures and ideas in addition to the French, making this a much richer and more valuable experience.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, fluid writing and appreciation Marian. Keep documenting too whenever, wherever you can ... and keep interacting with people. Bannerjee has extensive web presence and her writing is also curious and interesting.

    ReplyDelete