Friday, June 3, 2011

A Vegetarian In Paris

As you might expect, being a vegetarian in Paris isn’t always easy. Then again, finding vegetarian options in any city isn’t always easy either. Being used to the wide variety options and the general awareness of vegetarianism in Boulder, coming to Paris is definitely taking some getting used to. Thankfully, the ten days I spent in London before we arrived in Paris served as a nice transition to European’s way of viewing the growing number of vegetarians out there. While London did not necessarily have more veggie option than Paris, I did notice that they marked what the vegetarian option on the menu were, and that does not seem to be something that Parisians do yet. However, I’ve found having to try a little bit harder to figure out what is okay for me to eat can be a good thing. Not only is it requiring me to expand my French vocabulary, but it’s also making me think even more about what I am putting into my body. Also, looking for places that do have good vegetarian options has made me have to go more off the beaten path. Granted, I have been eating a few too many baguettes. Actually, I’m beginning to think that there is no such thing as eating too much bread. The bread here is always fresh and cheap and unbelievably good. I’ve seemed to find that my favorite things to get at cafes or boulangeries tend to be pastries or crepes. Nevertheless, so far the best way I’ve found to have a filling, tasty, and healthy meal has been to make my own food at my apartment. This is also conveniently much cheaper. Finding groceries with fresh options have been refreshingly easy. The best place to get stuff is at the market that happens a few steps out of my apartment every Saturday morning. The market has strengthened my desire to remain a vegetarian even more. All the fruits and vegetables look delicious, as do the cheese and nut stalls. Even more than that though, the grotesque look of the meat and fish definitely keep me far, far away. Everything is presented so that the animal that it is cannot be forgotten. Entire skinned rabbits are proudly displayed, and the fish still have their eyes and teeth. I know that those things are done to show the freshness of the product and get people to buy it, but it definitely has the opposite affect on me. Next week I cannot wait to go to the market again, but I also have a few other goals for the week. First, I want to continue to get better and more confident with speaking and understanding French; it seems to get easier every day. Also, I want to go and try some of the vegetarian restaurants around Paris that I’ve found online. Mostly though, I want to continue learning as much as I can about this beautiful city.

1 comment:

  1. Really appreciate this response to the food and food displays written from the vegetarian perspective - very sensitive and insightful to how the French celebrate meat in order to sell it... but also the writing is full of positivity and energy. You are doing well, Lauren! Stay warm and healthy!

    ReplyDelete