Sunday, June 16, 2013


My most memorable and gratifying experience during my stay in Paris occurred the day of my presentation (last Thursday). While I was on the Metro to the Louvre, feverishly scribbling notes, I was oblivious to my surroundings and utterly consumed in thought. A middle-aged woman was sitting across from me with her elderly mother, and as they carried on their conversation, I succumbed deeper to my butterfly driven speech-repeating (which I am pretty sure included mouthing words to myself). Interrupting my personal moment of extreme introversion was the middle aged lady, whose name I later learned was Marie. Maybe she mistook me for a French student with my incredible focus and study skills? Part of me took this as a compliment. Or many she was just concerned with how quickly I was writing. Either or, Marie started speaking to me in French, which I now know I made obvious I did not understand with my deer in headlights reaction. She laughed along with her mother, and after the two of them composed themselves, Marie told me in broken English that she really loved my necklace and that it was beautiful. To Marie this was probably a very small part of her day, but to me this moment took me out of my own world and abruptly placed me back in France. Not the France I had previously experienced, but one where the people were more welcoming and cheerful than I had prior assumed. Marie and I had a brief conversation with each other, where she asked me to repeat certain English words for her and she in exchange, God bless her, tried to teach me some French. Our encounter was short, and ended with a heartfelt handshake and a  “Good-luck!”, but for myself I will never forget meeting Marie and how comfortable and at home she made me feel. It was the first time I had spoken to someone while in Paris that wasn’t forced (a waiter etc.), and it was absolutely wonderful.

Lea and I made dinner all the time!!! Had the perfect outdoor patio for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment