Sunday, June 30, 2013

Traveling in Paris!

The number one way I commute is either by foot or car at home and in Boulder. When coming to Paris, I didn't give commuting much thought, I just thought that I'd be doing a lot of walking. Turns out I was right, but also a lot of metroing! (New word) I typically take a train to NYC or drive, but never take the subway, because I always walk and was afraid it would be too difficult to figure out. I was definitely hesitant about taking the metro because firstly it's underground, Paris is a large city and the constant warning I received about pickpocketing. Within the first days I felt that I understood the setup and was very pleased at how simple it really is to use. Nearing the end of the trip I've also realized how convenient the metro is, with a large city like Paris, the metro is a well needed transportation system. But it is not as if I love the metro, there has been some good and not so good experiences. Traveling at rush hour, which seems to be different times a day, is not a fun experience. There were a few times I realized I was going the wrong way and I started to get a bit annoyed taking the metro everywhere, at times I would've rather walked, but I see that it really is the best and most convenient way to get around Paris. I've also realized that taking Taxis in Paris is difficult, especially on a weekend night, finding a place to get one was the easier part at times, but definitely one of my least favorite transportation. I would in this case choose the metro over taxis, but unfortunately the Metro isn't open all the time! There was also one point that I may have gotten pick pocketed, a bunch of loud kids pushed their way onto the compartment I was getting on and two of the kids tried talking to me as they leaned up against my body, I tried to move away, but they got as close as the could, and I instantly knew something was up. I was with Julia at the time and she told me one of the girls had a messenger bag with her hand in it and it was open on the bottom. We later saw that those kids had gotten caught. I've enjoyed experiencing the city life of Paris, which heavily included the metro as a big part of my trip here to Paris, but it was also fun and exciting at times, seeing all the different types of people and musicians. I may miss it, but more than anything I've loved walking and running in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment