Saturday, June 15, 2013

Amurica

Games can be a foolish thing to play if you don't do it right. I, for one, have made my own game so clearly I always play it right. I have made up a game to play in the metro to make the stops seem shorter and less suffocating. I love trying to figure out what nationality everyone is simply from their appearance and behavior. This can be tricky because not all people with suitcases are tourists and not all men in Abercrombie and Fitch shirts are American (unfortunately). One of the only ways to know what country they're from is from their language (even that can be misleading) and since I haven't had the chutzpa to approach anyone to settle my score, many people walk away an enigma. I've been told in America I look "so American", if a waiter speaks to me in a restaurant they usually start in English, so what is the give away factor and why do I feel so confident in my snap judgment of people's nationality?
There was a couple behind me exiting the metro and just form looking at them I could tell they were American. I held a door open for the woman and she replied with a "mercy". Not wanting to break the illusion that I knew what I was doing and was a Parisian I just nodded back. Going out at night and during the day I have tried to the best of my abilities to assimilate myself. Apparently I have not done a good enough job blending in since most of the time when I speak to anyone French or not they eventually ask, "American?". Let's see how long it will take to camouflage into this beautiful culture.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I wonder if you can fold your personal family history into one of your commentaries?

    All good in the apartment, Lea?

    ReplyDelete