Sunday, June 30, 2013

Local on the Metro

I had heard since the beginning that Parisians generally keep to themselves on the metro. They typically are listening to music, reading, or (what I enjoy doing for the five minute ride) zoning out. Especially when you're standing under someone's armpit and against someone's bust, you typically try not to make eye contact with anyone. The other day when I was taking the metro home by myself during rush hour, an older man scurried in and trying to make the crowded seats more accommodating for everyone, I scooted over and across to another seat so the older man wouldn't have to climb over the 7 foot man sitting on the other side. As he sat down, he mentioned something in french to me that sounded like "Do I smell? You don't want to sit next to me?" Now, when I see this written out, it does sound a little creepy, but it was exactly the opposite. He clearly didn't realize that I was trying to make a seat available for him. He then laughed and I smiled and he began asking me where I was from, what I was studying, and how I liked Paris. He then told me he worked for himself and designed labels for alcohol, candy, and other sweets. I told him that I wanted to get into advertising and next thing you know, it was my stop! He was the first Parisian that began a conversation with a stranger on the metro and it was nice being able to get a taste of what a local is really like when they aren't giving you directions or trying to sell you something.

No comments:

Post a Comment