Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fête de la Musique

Hawai'i is exactly 7459.9 miles from Paris. Residing in Paris this far away from home has been a real mind blowing experience. When telling people where I am from they are amazed on how far I have traveled to further my education. This weekend I received an email from a friend saying he would be in Paris for the weekend. It was really last minute but we managed to all get together before Fête de la Musique began. We headed to a cafe and had lunch with my roommate Nicole and Lea. As we continued to hang out and walk around Paris after lunch, we realized how crazy it was that they last time we hung out was all the way in Hawai'i in December over the holidays. Now, we were in Paris doing the same thing completely around he world. Being in a different country and acclimating to a new language and culture can be hard when you don't know any very well. Meeting up with my friend reassured me that no matter where I am in the world, their is a huge possibility that someone I know is in the same boat. I later meet up with 3 other friends that I knew from Hawai'i at one of the Fête de la Musique tents. At that point I knew that no matter what something will keep me feeling at home. Seeing a familiar face in a unfamiliar country is so comforting. It is truly a bonding experience.
This weekend was very humbling. Staying in Paris for the weekend to attend the festival was the best decision yet. At one point we walked up to Sacre Cœur and the rest of our study abroad group met up with us. Here we were, sitting on the grass under the Catherdal admiring the beautiful view of Paris all together. We were all just a bunch of American students soaking in Parisian culture. The wind blowing in our faces and the joy amongst every one was contagious. Because of this weekend I feel the group has all become much closer. It was a great bonding experience. There is one more weekend left together then our Parisian journey ends, but this weekend was my favorite time in Paris yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment