Sunday, June 16, 2013

Post #2 !

This past week Lea, Doug, Luke and I went to the bookstore Shakespeare and Company. Right before we went to Shakespeare and Company we went to a vintage bookstore where basically all the books were in French and the employees spoke broken English. When we arrived at Shakespeare and Company, there was a line of people out the door waiting to go in. After standing in line for a few seconds we realized that everyone around us was speaking English. Not only that but the majority of people seemed to be American. After entering the bookstore it was hard to remember that we were even in Paris. It reminded me of how easy and comforting it is to be an area where everyone is speaking the same language as me. I didn't have to form sentences in my head before speaking them. Probably the most reassuring aspect of the trip was the fact that the people were dressed like Americans. Meaning no one was unbearable chic, and I felt as though my jeans and vans were acceptable to be wearing in public. The experience made me realize how different the Parisian and American cultures are.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know you are going to bookstores here...
    look forward to reading about your interaction with French people, and French culture too. Amazing that there was aline of people — 2 other American bookstores closed their doors last year: the Village Voice and the little Red Wheelbarrow and before that in 2009, Brentano's. Maybe days of little bookstores come to an end because Amazon rules.

    ReplyDelete