Friday, June 14, 2013

Taking the day to myself to work desperately on my project that I unwittingly left to the last moment, I was travelling to the American Library in Paris and I noticed a coffee shop. The sign literally said "Coffee Shop" so it really wasn't that hard to notice (I think it would truly prove my unwitfullness). I was intrigued because I have yet to see a coffee shop that focuses on coffee, rather than being a sit down bar/cafe/bakery/sandwich shop/Godonlyknows. I was feeling extra Parisian with my cheap ugly scarf (which does NOT have the Lea approval) and walked in like I owned the place. I ordered, told him it was to go, and asked him how his day was perfectly, until he started to motor-mouth in French at me. Jaw goes slack, eyes glaze over, and I respond with my wittiest French response, "Quoi?" So he keeps motor-mouthing at me! I smile, shake my mush-for-brains filled head and say "Je parle francais un petit peu" and he goes "Ahhhhhh, anglaise?" "Oui." "I just need to check outside and I will make your espresso. I thought you were French, you act like you are."


Slacked jaw reels back in, smiles, and responds with a pleasant "Merci, Monsieur. Á bientôt."

"If only Frances could see me now..."

1 comment:

  1. Frances could see you now if there was a picture. Did he mean he thought you were french or did he know you were posturing? All good, Robin, though it is not motor-mouthing it is a French person speaking their language that you often understand.

    Did you gain access to American Library in Paris? Isn't it a good place to read and study? I love it there.

    ReplyDelete