Sunday, June 9, 2013

Cultural Narrative 1- week 1


Having been in Paris for over a week, I have observed a couple incidents that have captured some of the main differences between French and American culture. Most notably is the conversation volume level. I find most French exchanges to almost be in whispers. It is so much more pleasant to be in extreme public places (ex: the metro) when people are not obliviously shouting and being obnoxiously rambunctious. There is a degree of respect amongst the French for not agitating each other, which is not present in the US. Being in New York City, one can easily see how loud and publically vulgar people are, seemingly unaware to their surroundings (children walking by, the elderly, someone trying to read). Where as on the metro, a French man\woman will quietly answer a phone call and then quickly hang up, close their eyes or silently read for the duration of their ride. I have also noticed that manners and class seem to permeate all social statuses here. All walks of life in France are very attuned to manners, where in America, even college aged gentlemen will be severely lacking. The metro is where I have observed most cultural differences, as I spend most of my time watching people while riding to my destination. Men without hesitation will give their seat to a standing woman, something I find basic, but a nearly forgotten art back home. The French also (pretty much without fail) excuse themselves for bumping into someone or even for rushing by. My favorite difference between the French and Americans is the amount of pride one takes in their appearance here. The public self is clearly held at high regards. Women and men alike look clean, up to date in their fashion, and very well put together. It is obvious that they take pride in their physical appearance, even with all the amazing food here, it is hard pressed to find someone overweight. Everyone is moving, I always see people jogging or using a bike as means of transportation, and it shows in how fit the French population is. This is something I wish the French could enlighten the bulk of Americans about, taking pride in your appearance.

1 comment:

  1. Good, Laurelle; I hope to read about an interaction with a French person next time. Great pick of delicious looking pastries.

    ReplyDelete