Friday, June 14, 2013

St. Martin Canal

  Unfortunately I have not made any progress with my skateboarding in France. I have been meaning to get a board but I have not made the time to do so. It is torture to see fellow skaters riding around when I cannot. BUT, fortunately I have still been able to connect with local Parisians over another love of mine, French Cinema.
  The other night me and some members of the program went down to the St. Martin Canal.  As soon as I stepped off of the metro I instantly recognized the canal from one of my favorite foreign films, Amelie.  Later while walking down the canal I begin to strike a conversation with some local French dudes.  We began to talk about Amelie and how it was filmed right where we were standing!  They were not as excited about this fact as I was since they had both been to the canal and seen Amelie over a thousand times.  I then started to talk to them about another favorite film of mine, La Haine.  As soon as I said, "La" my new friends instantly knew what movie I was referring to.  After talking about several of our favorite moments in the movie and just how fantastic the film is in general one of the French dudes started to talk to me about his work as a screen writer.  I instantly bonded with this particular Parisian  because I hope to be a screenwriter myself one day.  He told me how he studied film at UCLA and how he hopes to move back to LA one day.  I then asked him where I could find some of his work and he gave me his website information.  I am happy to say that I now have film connections in France since that is what the industry is all about.

1 comment:

  1. So excited by this, Luke: who knows where such connections lead?

    ReplyDelete